An organic product is that which is raised, grown, stored, and/or processed without the use of synthetically- produced chemicals or fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, or any other pesticides, growth hormones or growth regulators. Only farmers who produce food according to a set of standards, undergo evaluation by other certified growers, and pass a yearly inspection by a trained independent inspector can label their products certified organic.
Prevent Soil Erosion
The Soil Conservation Society estimates that more than 3 Billion tons of topsoil are eroded from United States farmlands each year, and soil is eroding seven times faster than it is being built up naturally. In organic farming, soil is the foundation of the food chain as opposed to conventional farming where soil is merely used as a porous medium periodically saturated with unnatural chemical fertilizers and controlled with even deadlier pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.
Keep chemicals off your plate
Now the EPA considers 60% of all herbicides, 90% of all fungicides, and 30% of all insecticides to be carcinogenic. The bottom line is that pesticides are poisons made to kill living creatures, and can also be harmful to humans.
There are numerous studies coming out in the past few years that correlate eating pesticides with higher risk of cancer. This disturbing information is becoming mainstream knowledge and is resulting in many studies being done around the world to analyze the food we are eating today. Agronomy, an international journal of agriculture & the environment, explain their results of extensive research comparing organic vs. non-organic foods. They concluded that organic crops contain overall 21% more iron and 29% more magnesium than their counterparts. Organic crops also contain higher levels of Vitamin C, E and most important more polyphenols and reveratrols (phytomicronutrients responsible for the prevention of cancer).
Herbs and Spices
Virtually all conventional herbs and spices sold in stores are fumigated with up to 40 different fungicides, herbicides and insecticides. As a consequence, spices are contaminated with pesticide residues. Our organic spices do not contain any pesticides and natural methods to accomplish sterilization are used. Not only are organic herbs & spices healthier, they also taste better!
Support a true economy
Superficially, organic foods might seem more expensive than conventional foods. Conventional food prices do not reflect hidden costs borne by the taxpayer in the form of subsidies. Other hidden costs include pesticide regulation and testing, hazardous waste disposal, and environmental damage.
Six Great Reasons to buy Organic Food
1. Protect your children's health Children are 4 times more exposed to pesticides in food than adults.
2. Protect your own health A recent US National Academy of Sciences study estimated that pesticides in food might cause an 1.4 million cancer cases in the US. Several pesticides banned in Canada and the US are applied to crops in Mexico and then exported here.
3. Protect farm workers health A Natural Cancer Institute study showed that non-organic farmers have 6 times greater risk of contracting cancer than non-farmers. Over 1 million people are poisoned by pesticides annually in North America.
4. Protect soil and water Over 3 billion tons of topsoil are lost annually due to non-organic farming methods in Canada and the US. Pesticide contamination in groundwater has affected the drinking water supply in most states and provinces.
5. Save energy Industrial farming uses more oil than any other industry. By comparison, organic farming relies on labour-intensive practices (hand-weeding).
6. Get better nutrient value A recent US study compared the nutrient quantities of organic and non-organic foods and found that organic foods consistently had two to twenty times more nutrients!